Bachelor of Midwifery Study Programme of Alma Ata – One of the important examinations to determine a person’s health is a blood pressure examination. Abnormalities in blood pressure test results can be a clue to an important health problem. For this reason, blood pressure checks must be carried out correctly so that there are no wrong conclusions and treatments. Here are some things that must be considered in checking blood pressure so that the results are minimal errors:
- Ensure that the patient/examined person is relaxed, not consuming caffeine, strenuous activity, or smoking less than 30 minutes before the examination, and has not held back urination.
- Make sure the examination room is quiet and do not talk during the examination.
- Use a comfortable chair so that the patient/examined person can lean back and have both feet on the floor. Make sure the legs are straight and not crossed.
- Examination of the left hand is recommended.
- Support the hand of the patient/examined person so that the cuff is at the same height as the heart.
- Use the appropriate cuff size
- Ensure that the cuff is directly on the patient’s skin without any obstruction of clothing/fabric.
- Place the diaphragm of the stethoscope on the brachial artery in the fossa cubiti area (the pulse at the bend of the elbow in line with the little finger). Use three fingers to find the artery easily
- If re-measurement is required, allow at least 1 minute lag time from the previous measurement.
Sumber : Rehman S, Hashmi MF, Nelson VL. Blood Pressure Measurement. [Updated 2022 Dec 28]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2023 Jan-. Available From : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482189/